What can the Civil Law Project do for me? 

If you call the Civil Law Project, our volunteers can:

  • Give you legal information about your issue.
  • Provide referrals to the appropriate agency.


If we open a file for you, our volunteers can:

  • Give you legal information about your issue.
  • Prepare your case to present.
  • Act as your agent in the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Residential Dispute Tenancy Resolution Service, or various administrative tribunals.


All of our caseworkers act under the supervision of our advising lawyers.

Who can the Civil Law Project help?

Student Legal Services cannot help everyone. Whether we can help you depends on your income and the nature of your legal issue.


You must prove that you meet our income guidelines before we can open a file or appear in court for you. If you are not sure whether you meet our income guidelines, please feel free to contact us to discuss your situation.


If you are a University of Alberta student, we can represent you even if you exceed our income guidelines.


Some common civil legal issues that we handle include:

  • Landlord and Tenant
  • Small Claims
  • Contracts
  • Bailment/Personal Property
  • Debt/Collection Agencies
  • Employment/Wrongful Dismissal
  • Sale of Goods/Consumer Law
  • Social Services
  • WCB Hearings and Appeals
  • CPP Appeals
  • EI Hearings
  • Student Appeals


If we cannot assist you we will refer you to the appropriate agency. 


We appear in Provincial Court in the following places:

  • Edmonton
  • Stony Plain
  • St. Albert
  • Sherwood Park
  • Fort Saskatchewan
  • Leduc
  • Morinville


If you are required to appear in court in another place, we are unable to open a file for you or appear on your behalf. If your court appearance is in Calgary, Student Legal Assistance of Calgary may be able to help you.

How to Open a File

You can apply to open a file with the Civil Law Project at one of our regularly scheduled shifts. You must apply in person. We cannot open a file over the phone. No appointment is necessary, but it is a good idea to call ahead to see if we are able to help you.


When you come in to open a file, you should bring all of the information you have that relates to the legal issue.


You should also bring proof of your income, such as your most recent income tax Notice of Assessment, some recent pay stubs, or proof that you receive AISH.