Bylaws & Tickets

This information is not legal advice, and we cannot guarantee it is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. See our disclaimer & terms of use





Bylaws are rules and regulations enacted and enforcedby City Council under the authority of the Municipal Government Act. Most bylaws regulate public and private activity to ensure public health and safety as well as order throughout the community. For example, in Edmonton many traffic rules are enforced under the Traffic Bylaw (Bylaw 5990). Bylaws can often be found online:


Office of the City Clerk

The Office of the City Clerk maintains the bylaws.

3rd floor, City Hall

1 Sir Winston Churchill Sq.

Edmonton, AB T5J 2R7

phone: (780) 496-8178

fax: (780) 496-8175


If you are concerned that another person is violating a bylaw you can register a complaint with your City. In

Edmonton, complaints can be registered by calling 3-1-1. You must give your name, address, phone number and the details of your concern to register your complaint. This information will remain confidential but anonymous complaints will not be accepted. Some complaints can be registered online, for example,

to report dead animals on roads or public lands for removal. Check your City’s website to see if your  complaint can be registered online. In Edmonton, the online complaint form can be found at:


Once your complaint is registered with the city, a file will be opened regarding your concern. Within several days an appropriate enforcement officer will investigate your concerns. If there appears to be a bylaw violation the officer will take the appropriate steps to enforce the bylaw. The City may contact you to let you know that they received your complaint. They may also contact you to appear as a witness if the matter goes to Court.


A person who violates a bylaw is guilty of an offence and will be liable to a penalty. In response to a bylaw offence an order to comply, a municipal tag, or a violation ticket may be issued.

Order to Comply

If there are reasonable grounds to believe that a bylaw is being violated, an order to comply may be issued. The order may require someone to:

a. stop doing something, or change the way they are doing something;

b. take action to fix the violation and/or prevent it from continuing;


The Order will generally also state a time within which a person must comply with the bylaw and state what action the City will take if the person does not comply with the bylaw.

Municipal Tag

If a municipal tag is issued in response to an offence, it will specify a fine of a certain amount (which will vary depending on the offence). If that amount is paid on or before the specified due date, the offender will not be prosecuted. If the fine is not paid before the due date, a violation ticket may be issued.

Violation Ticket

There are two types of violation tickets:

a) Summons Violation Ticket

- pink in colour, reads “Part 2, Summons” in the top right corner

- A summons violation will have a complaint (noting the alleged offence) and a summons (noting a date to appear in Court and how to respond to the summons)

- A summons violation ticket may offer an option of voluntary payment or may only require a court appearance

b) Offence Notice Violation Ticket

- yellow or white in colour, read “Part 3, Offence Notice” in the top right corner

- An offence notice violation ticket will have a certificate of offence (noting the alleged offence) and an offence notice (indicating the penalty for the offence, a date to appear in Court, and how to respond to the offence notice)

- An offence notice always offers the option of voluntary payment

Voluntary Payment

If a violation ticket includes a fine, the defendant has the option to make a voluntary payment. A voluntary payment of a summons violation ticket is made by paying the fine noted on the ticket on or before the date of the Court appearance. Voluntary payment of an offence notice violation ticket is made by paying the amount noted as the penalty of the offence. Voluntary payment of a violation ticket is both a guilty plea and a conviction of a bylaw offence.


A defendant will have to make a Court appearance if required to by a summons violation ticket. A defendant may also have to make a Court appearance if they wish to plead not guilty to a bylaw offence (although some violation tickets allow you to sign a not guilty plea and mail it to the Court). Once a defendant appears in Court and enters a plea of not guilty, a trial date will be set.


If you receive a ticket for an offence that you have not committed you can contest the ticket. You can contest a ticket by appearing in court on or before the appearance date noted on your ticket and entering a plea of not guilty. Your ticket may also provide another way of entering a not guilty plea (by signing a not guilty plea on the ticket and mailing it, for example).


You can also contest your ticket by sending a letter to the following address:

City of Edmonton

Bylaw Ticket Administration

PO Box 2024

Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4M6

fax: 780-496-6054


You must include the ticket number, your name, and your mailing address along with a brief explanation of the circumstances regarding the ticket. Be sure to include any applicable information such as a permit number, police file number, etc.


Under the Traffic Bylaw (Bylaw 5590) if a vehicle is involved in an offence the owner of that vehicle is liable for that offence. However, if you can establish that you were:

a. not driving (or parking) the car; and

b. that the car was being driven (or parked) without your permission (either express or implied);


you will not be held liable for the offence. Therefore, if you are contesting a ticket on the basis that you should not be liable as the owner of the vehicle, make sure to communicate those two points as clearly as possible.


Failure to respond to a penalty for a bylaw offence can result in a variety of consequences. You may be unable to obtain important services such as vehicle registration. Late payments may be added. In some cases, a warrant for arrest may be issued. See our Arrest Warrants and Unpaid Fines & Debt Collection pamphlets for more information. If you do not pay a municipal tag you may be issued a violation ticket.


If you fail to respond to a summons violation ticket:

a. a not guilty plea may be entered and a trial date set;

b. a warrant for arrest may be issued; OR

c. a new summons may be issued requiring a court appearance.


If you fail to respond to an offence notice violation ticket, a guilty plea will be entered and you will owe the noted penalty. If you have a good reason for missing your trial date, you can apply to have this conviction set aside within 15 days. To do so, you will have to fill out an Affidavit on Application to Set Aside a conviction. This form is available in the Traffic Court section of the Alberta Court Website (


If a not guilty plea is entered and you fail to appear on your trial date you may be found guilty of the offence, the trial may proceed without you, or a new trial date may be set. For more information, see our Missed Court Dates pamphlet.



Municipal tags may be paid online, in person, by mail, or in a Quick Payment Drop Box. You can pay your ticket online by Visa, MasterCard or American Express. Most financial institutions will also allow you to pay a ticket in person on or before the due date.



By Mail:

City of Edmonton 
PO Box 2024
Edmonton, AB T5J 4M6

In Person (credit, debit, or cash):

5th Floor, HSBC Bank Place
10250 101 Street

Edmonton, AB
8:00am – 4:30pm (Monday – Friday)

Quick Payment Drop Box:

Drop your cheque or money order (no cash) in the Quick Payment Box located at:

Main Floor, Chancery Hall
3 Sir Winston Churchill Square

Edmonton, AB
8:30am – 4:30pm (Monday – Friday)



Offence notice violation tickets can be paid online at if you are an AMA member or at Tickets can be paid online by Visa or by MasterCard. Offence notice violation tickets or summons violation tickets with a voluntary payment option can be paid at the provincial courthouse, located here:


Law Courts

1A Sir Winston Churchill Square,

Edmonton, AB

T5J 0R2



If you go to Court and speak to a Justice of the Peace or a prosecutor and explain your situation they may be able to reduce the amount of the fine and/or grant more time to pay the fine. Sometimes a payment schedule will be put in place; other times a new deadline will be set. Several factors will be considered including financial need, the amount of the fine, the severity of the offence, and the circumstances of the offence.


If you do not have a source of income, you may enrol in the Fine Option Program. This program allows you to pay off a fine on an hourly basis by doing some type of community service work, which is paid at minimum wage. The Fine Option Program is operated by the provincial government, but can also be used to pay City Fines. You can also ask to be granted Days in Default. This is where you spend time in jail instead of paying the fine. It is up to the Justice of the Peace whether or not to grant Days in Default.



Bylaw Ticket Inquiries ...............................................................................................................780-496-5161
8:30am-4:30pm (Monday to Friday)

Edmonton Police Service (Non-Emergency Help Line)...………….....................................…..780-423-4567
9620 - 103A Avenue
Edmonton, AB

Legal Aid Society of Alberta………….....................................……………......…………..…….1-866-845-3425
Revillon Building, Suite 600 10320 - 102 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB

Student Legal Services (Criminal)...……………………………........................................………780-425-3356
#203, 9924 - 106 Street NW
Edmonton, AB