Alternative Measures Program (AMP)

This information is not legal advice, and we cannot guarantee it is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. See our disclaimer & terms of use

What is AMP?

The Alternative Measures Program (AMP) is a program that is offered to persons involved in minor offences that either do not have a criminal record or, on the program's discretion, to those who have less than two offences on their record (generally the offences on your record must be old e.g. not recent). The intention of AMP is to allow persons involved in minor offences who have little experience with the criminal justice system, a chance avoid a criminal record.  If you are accepted into the program, upon completion, the Crown will withdraw the charges against you (i.e. you will not have a criminal record). Although you will not have a criminal conviction and thus have no record, the fact that you participated in the program will show on CPIC (a police database); this is essentially to ensure that a person does not get AMP more than once.

Some of Criminal Code offences that AMP is given for include:


  • s.334(b):  Theft Under $5000
  • s.430:        Mischief under $5000
  • s.266:        Assault
  • s.380:        Fraud
  • s.368:        Uttering a Forged Doc
  • s.355:        Poss. of Stolen Property
  • s.335:        Taking a Motor Vehicle without Consent
  • s.175:        Causing a Disturbance


How Do I Apply for AMP?

At your next court appearance you can ask the Judge or Crown to hold the matter over for three weeks to be considered for AMP. Most Courtrooms have a duty counsel who can assist you with this task.  At the CMO (Case Management Office) desk, located next to the main security area, the Justice of the Peace (the persons working the desk) may already know if you have been pre-approved for AMP.  If you are, you simply need to confirm your address; if it is undecided you can request it.

One of the things that can assist you in getting into AMP is making the Crown aware of your personal circumstances and the circumstances surrounding the incident. The best way to communicate this information is by writing a letter before your Court date and bringing it to court to be attached to your file when you ask to be considered for AMP.

The letter can include things such as your job, your family situation, your long-term goals, your education and any extra circumstances surrounding the incident. For example, if the reason for the theft was to get food to feed your children. Additionally, the program requires that a person accepts responsibility for what happened; this, along with showing remorse for your actions, can be beneficial. 

What Would I Have to Do?

If you are accepted into AMP you will have to hand in a form called “Address Confirmation”, this is because the program will send you a package in the mail. Generally, this package includes a contact person that will assist you with finding something you can do. Some of the most common activities that the program requests are minimal community service hours, donation to charities or paying restitution for the damage caused.

If you do not complete the requirement of this program (ie. what you have agreed to do), the Crown will proceed with the charge as normal. There is a small possibility that a person can get an extension in order to complete the program but this is rare and only happens when there are good reasons for not being able to complete the program.  In order to get an extension you must contact the probation office / AMP office BEFORE your completion date and try to get them to agree to the extension. In the event that an extension is not given the next step will be to decide whether you want to plead guilty or set it for trial. 



Student Legal Services- Criminal Law Office (Corona)


Unit 203
9924-106 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta, T5K-1C4
Criminal: (780) 425- 3356