Providing free legal information and representation to the low income community since 1969.
About the Legal Education & Reform Project
The Legal Education & Reform Project has been the backbone of Student Legal Services of Edmonton since its beginnings in 1969. Its mandate is to provide legal information to the general public in a way that makes the legal system more accessible and serves the needs of the low income community in a holistic manner.
The Legal Education & Reform Project has three main areas of focus:
- Community Outreaches: Outreaches throughout the City of Edmonton are a central aspect of the Legal Education & Reform Project. They allow us to meet people where they are at - at community centres, cooperatives and gathering places where they feel welcomed and safe. Our current outreach schedule is as follows:
- Student's Union Building - Every Monday, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
8900 114 St. NW, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- Boyle Street Co-op - Every Tuesday, 12:30 - 1:30 pm
10116 105 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB
- Hope Mission Center - Every Tuesday, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
9908 106 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB
- Old Strathcona Youth Society - Every Wednesday, 3:00pm - 4:00pm
10325 83 Ave, Edmonton, AB
- Bissell Centre - Every Thursday, 12:30 - 1:30 pm
10527 96 St NW, Edmonton, AB
- Kindred House - Every Thursday, 12:30 - 1:30 pm
- Mustard Seed - Every Thursday, 8:00 - 9:00 pm
10635 96 St, Edmonton, AB
- Legal Reform: Legal reform focusses on areas of law that can be changed, adapted or created in order to protect the rights of the underprivileged. Our role is to research municipal bylaws, Provincial statutes and even Federal legislation and to actively advocate for changes where there are laws that are unfair or unjust.
- Legal Education: The Legal Education Project is concerned with informing the public about specific areas of law, the general functions of the judicial system and how to navigate and understand our legal system. We provide legal education through Lectures, Workshops, Mock Trials, and our Summer Law Camps.
The Legal Education & Reform Project has over 50 volunteers who participate in all of the Project's various forms. If you would like to set up an outreach, have an area of law that you would like analyzed or would like to book a lecture, mock trial or a summer camp, please contact us.
All lectures and materials are approved by our advising lawyers.