Jaywalking Tickets in the City of Edmonton

This information is not legal advice, and we cannot guarantee it is accurate, complete, or up-to-date.  See our disclaimer & terms of use



What is Jaywalking?

Jaywalking is a regulatory offence that is described in the Edmonton City Bylaw C5590.  This Bylaw sets out two ways that you can be ticketed for jaywalking:

1) If you are crossing or attempting to cross the road and you are outside of the crosswalk. A crosswalk is considered to be the piece of roadway inside the lines connecting opposite sides of the road measured from the curbs or the  edges of the roadway.  Pedestrian crossings marked by lights, lines, or other road markings are also considered crosswalks.

2) If you are crossing, or attempting to cross the road when the “Do Not Walk” is lit or flashing, or if you are facing a red light.
If you are ticketed for Jaywalking you will be given a $250 fine.


Dealing With Your Ticket

It is always in your best interest to pay off a fine as quickly as possible.  Because Jaywalking tickets are city fines they do not require a court appearance, but instead have a due date on them. 

If you pay the fine before the due date, you are considered to have pled guilty and the matter is finished with. If you want to appeal your ticket, this must be done before the due date.  To appeal, fill out “option 2” on the back of your ticket, and mail it to the address listed.  You can also take the ticket to the Provincial Traffic Court, located in the Court House, where you can appeal your ticket in front of a Justice of the Peace.

If you cannot pay the entire amount of the fine by the due date, you can ask the Justice of the Peace at the Provincial Traffic Court to give you time to pay.  Usually, the Court wants to see that you have already made efforts to pay the fine.  You can always go into the Courthouse and make smaller payments towards your fine.  You do not need to pay in one lump sum.

If you are given time to pay, it is important to start making payment, even of they are small ones, as soon as possible.  You must ask for time to pay before the fine is due.

If you do not have a source of income, and cannot pay the fine, you can apply to enroll in the Fine Option Program.  This program allows you to pay off a fine on an hourly basis by doing some type of community service work, which is paid at minimum wage.  You must apply for the program before the fine is due.


What Happens if You Don't Pay Your Ticket Before the Due Date?

If you have multiple fines that have not been paid, there is a chance a warrant will be issued.

If you do not pay your ticket on time, you may not be able to register a vehicle or renew a driver’s license until the amount owed is paid.


If you have an unpaid fine that is past the due date, which you cannot pay, you can go before a Justice of the Peace at the Provincial Traffic Court and ask if they will grant you days in default.  This means that you spend time in jail to clear the amount you owe for the fine.  It is totally up to the discretion of the Justice of the Peace whether or not they will grant you days in default.



Student Legal Services

780-425-3356 (Downtown Office)

780-492-2226 (University Campus)