Civil Law

A passion to help.


About the Civil Law Project

The Civil Law Project has been a part of Student Legal Services since 1969 and has helped thousands of people in the Edmonton area who were not able to afford a lawyer. We also have various legal information booklets available online.

☎ (780) 492-8244


Who can we help?

Whether or not we can help you will depend on your income and the nature of the legal issue. Please note that we can help all University of Alberta undergraduate students with a valid OneCard. 

Income Guidelines
You must meet our guidelines before SLS can help you. You will need to provide proof of income documentation such as: last year's tax return/assessment, or last 3 months of pay stubs, bank statements, or statements showing income assistance (Alberta Works or AISH). 

Nature of the Legal Issue
We can only help with certain legal matters in Provincial Court. Some common civil legal issues that we can help with include:

  • Landlord and tenant matters

  • Small claims (limit of $50,000)

  • Contracts

  • Bailment/personal property

  • Debt/collection agencies

  • Employment/wrongful dismissal

  • Sale of Goods/consumer law

  • Social services

  • WCB hearings and appeals

  • CPP appeals

  • EI hearings

  • Student appeals

what can we do?

Law student caseworkers act as agents for individuals in the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service, and administrative tribunals. All students act under the supervision of our advising lawyers. Caseworkers for the Civil Project can:

  • Give you legal information

  • Write demand letters

  • Complete necessary court documents

  • Act as your agent at mediation and pretrial conferences

  • Act as your agent in Provincial Court, the Residential Dispute Resolution Service, and administrative tribunals and speak to your legal matter

We appear in Provincial Court in Edmonton, Stony Plain, St. Albert, Sherwood Park, Fort Saskatchewan, Leduc, and Morinville. If your court appearance is in another location, SLS will not be able to help you. 

If your court appearance is in Calgary, Student Legal Assistance at the University of Calgary may be able to help you. 


Form Sheet 2.jpg

shift times

To open a file with the Civil Project, please visit come visit us in our office! No appointment is necessary, but it is a good idea to call ahead to see if we can help you. 

University of Alberta Location: 11036 88 Avenue

The following hours apply to SLS’s summer hours, which operate May 13 - August 23, 2019. We are closed on statutory holidays.

Monday - Friday: 8:30am - noon & 1 - 4:30pm (if you plan to visit our office, please come in before 4pm as we stop taking walk-ins at 4pm)

Please bring all of the information relating to your legal matter (lease, contract, etc), as well as income documentation.